A Local Twist on a Classic Soup
Sam’s Onion Soup
- 2 lbs. Onions
- 1 head garlic, crushed (Cherry Grove Organics)
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 12 oz (1 bottle) Dark Beer (Stout or Porter) or Black Style Beer
- 1/3 lbs. CGF Rosedale, grated
- 1 baguette (Village Bakery) sliced and toasted
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Thyme, chopped
Julienne onions and heat medium stock pot over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, and then add onions. Caramelize onions over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic 5 minutes before the onions are done.
After adding the garlic, add 6 to 12 oz beer, depending on taste. Then reduce the volume of liquid by half. When reduced, add the chicken/vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce by 1/4 volume. Add chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle hot soup into oven-safe bowls, place a crostini on top with some Rosedale, and then place under the broiler until brown. Enjoy!