Serves 6 as a decadent side
Per serving: 324 cal, 17g fat, 239mg sodium,
28g carb, 2g fiber, 16g protein, 390mg calcium
- 1/2 box whole grain elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 8 ounces of your favorite Seasonal Jack, shredded & divided
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta to desired tenderness in a large pot of boiling water
- In a separate melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour to form a roux. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 3 minutes. The paste should be slightly thinned, but not browned. Whisk in the milk, mustard, and pepper (if using). Allow mixture to come up to a boil, the milk should thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese allowing it to melt and scallions (if using). Add the drained, cooked pasta and toss to coat.